But seriously, it seems like everyone on Facebook is pushing different diets. Eat this, not that. Try this. It will change your life.
And I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Food fads sell books and products, for sure. But how come none of them seem to be the answer?
I think it's complicated. I think part of it is that human biology has become diversified over time. We are not koalas, only eating one kind of plant. It's known that certain populations have higher incidences of lactose intolerance, because they didn't spend thousands of years adapting to dairy products. It makes sense that intolerances, allergies, and digestive traits would be different in different populations. All our bodies don't always react the same way.
I think it's complicated. I think part of it is that human biology has become diversified over time. We are not koalas, only eating one kind of plant. It's known that certain populations have higher incidences of lactose intolerance, because they didn't spend thousands of years adapting to dairy products. It makes sense that intolerances, allergies, and digestive traits would be different in different populations. All our bodies don't always react the same way.
I've known for awhile now that I needed to change my diet. In fact, I was put on a low-carb diet when I was 17, by my endocrinologist. I stuck to that diet for over a year and then gradually let it slide. I opted for medication instead of dietary changes. Twice. The second time it made me really sick, I quit taking the medication, but didn't return to the proscribed diet. More and more research has shown that with my particular body and health needs, I need to go gluten free.
I did it briefly, in 2013. But I didn't stick to it.
Why?
Well, it's hard, obviously. I reaaaaally love bread. A lot. And a lot of other gluteny things. But it wasn't just that.
I didn't want people to think that I was going gluten free because of some faddish diet. I was almost embarrassed to be giving up gluten.
And then I talked to more people like me. And heard what other doctors had to say. And realized that my health isn't really about what other people think.
Well, it's hard, obviously. I reaaaaally love bread. A lot. And a lot of other gluteny things. But it wasn't just that.
I didn't want people to think that I was going gluten free because of some faddish diet. I was almost embarrassed to be giving up gluten.
And then I talked to more people like me. And heard what other doctors had to say. And realized that my health isn't really about what other people think.
So here I am. Gluten free.
If you want proof that I'm not dieting...go check out my gluten free board on Pinterest. Filled with substitutes. Low-carb might be coming down the road later, but one step at a time.
And if I post pictures of my food on instagram with #glutenfree, maybe it's just to feel connected to other people who are doing the same thing for their own reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment