Monday, January 26, 2015

Snow, Sickness, and New Friends

Over the weekend, we went to two birthday parties--AW was the youngest (besides David) at one party and one of the oldest at the other--it was fun watching her interact with kids of different ages.  I think her favorite part was cake. 

Last week, if you'll recall, DC had his six-month check-up.  Our pediatrician waiting room has a sick side and a well side.  As usual, I went to the right after we checked in. I didn't even look at the signs because I thought I knew where I was going--turns out they switch sides in the winter because the right side is bigger.  So, come Tuesday, I had a sniffly two year-old, and come Tuesday night--the baby and I joined in to a not so fun cold.  It meant cancelling much of our fun for the week unfortunately.

We watched the brief snowfall on Wednesday (which disappeared by that evening) through the windows and watched far more television that AW has ever seen in her life.  DC worked on his crawling skills. Both kids stayed in pretty good spirits despite stuffy noses, sore throats, and headaches (I'm assuming on the last two, based on my own symptoms).  AW enjoyed getting to wear pajamas for two days straight and getting to play guitar with her uncle.  

We did make some new friends this week.  On Monday, we went to talk baby carriers and visit Baby A.  DC was pretty fascinated by seeing a baby even younger than himself (but not smaller).  There's a local moms' group that I joined on Facebook when we moved here, but I didn't make it to an event until Tuesday afternoon.  It was nice to talk to some local people, although most of the kiddos at the playground were older. 

When I was pregnant with AW, I joined an online group of women all due in August 2012.  Due dates being really estimations, the babies were born in July, August, and September, but I have taken to calling them the August Mamas (because August 2012 Due Date Club was too much to say every time).  It's become a pretty close-knit little group, and we all like to take advantage when we can meet up in real life.  One of the mamas lives about two hours south of us, and I'd met her and her three kiddos twice before. Then, this summer, another mama moved down here from upstate NY, and lives just an hour away.  She'd even looked in a neighborhood down the street from us, but our county schools just aren't stellar.  All three of us mamas got together Friday at the second mama's house, and nine kids got a chance to meet.  It was wonderful to sit and talk about our two year olds and get to know each other a little bit beyond the group.  

We wrapped up the weekend with a visit to Himself's parents, joined by one of his brothers and his sister.  As usual, the kids were showered with love. We made it home just in time to watch Downton Abbey.








No comments:

Post a Comment