So, here's the skinny on our commute (as of Day 2). Then I'll tell you why I don't mind.
We all get in the car and leave together around 6am. We're still playing with our route a little bit. One route has a grand total of four traffic lights until we reach Fairfax and provides a view of gently rolling hills and farms on the way to 66. Another way takes us through Warrenton and then escapes 29 North before reaching Gainesville (avoiding Gainesville traffic seems to be everyone's goal). One way or another, we make our way to 66 East. As long as we are in the HOV lane, traffic moves pretty well. Both mornings I have made it to Fairfax within an hour. Upon reaching Fairfax, I will drop Charles off at the train station, drop Abby off at daycare, and then head to work in Annandale. By then, it's been between an hour and a half and two hours of driving, but most of the traffic is in Fairfax.
Heading home: Charles is still moving stuff from the townhouse, so we haven't done the full commute home together yet. But the plan is that I will leave work as quickly as possible, pick Abby up, pick him up, and head back out to the country. With Abby, I'm still able to stay in the HOV lanes, so I still made it home from daycare in an hour last night. (An hour is about what it takes during non-rush hour too).
Here's why I don't mind:
-This is only until June 13, my last day of work.
-Charles will be on paternity leave for around 6 weeks when the new baby comes.
-When he does go back to work, he will take the train from Manassas and not have to drive all that way.
-He will be working at home again by the end of 2014.
-The last stretch of my drive home is absolutely gorgeous. The last highway on our drive is 211 West, which is the road to Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park. For most of the last ten minutes, I have a sweet mountain view that instantly makes me feel at peace.
You'll have to get Charles' point of view too. I think it mostly consists of "Wow, I'm awake reaaaaallly early."
Love,
Stephanie
No comments:
Post a Comment